Thursday, July 31, 2014

The first week of running Zombies Run! 5K has been a lot of fun.  It just seems too easy. Week one session started with ten minutes of warm up walk, followed by ten intervals of fifteen seconds run and one min walk, wrapped up with ten minutes of free form run. During the free from run, you are supposed to run if possible, otherwise walk. Since I am so out of shape I walked most of the ten minutes and did a couple of minutes of run.  The first week was super easy, as expected. Most of the 5K program’s week one workouts are super easy.  You can of course skip ahead, but why miss out on all the exciting story lines? 

I have been running in the morning before work which means I have been getting up around 6 am. That’s the most painful part of my day as I am not a morning person and don’t normally get up until 7:30am.  Learning from experience, the best way to make the adjustment is to go to bed early.  I have been going to bed around 10pm which makes me feel old and responsible. The mornings have been perfect for running; the weather is uncharacteristically cool for this time of the year, only around 60 in the morning. There is a small park with some trails behind my house and I have been running circle around a football field for most of the runs.  Some days I would head out to the gym and run on a different path.

The Zombies, Run! 5K app has pleasantly surprised me.  First you don’t get a very engaging storyline that keep you coming back for more.  After the helicopter crash and I made it to the base in “The Story Begins” I have been appointed runner 5 to help the base gather supplies. Of course I have to train before I can start my missions.  I found out the old runner 5 Alice was the super-fast zombie chasing me in the previous workout.  Apparently Sam the radio operator was romantically involved with the old Runner 5 and is taking her turning into a zom (zombie) quite hard.  I also met runner 4 who seems good natured and fun.

I should also mention that I have signed up for a 5K race in 2 months! When I mentioned to my friends that I started the 5K training yet again, Amy said she is running in the Pittsburgh Great Race. I thought it would be a great idea to sign up and have something to work towards.  I signed up for the same race 2 years ago and sold my bib because I didn’t finish the C25K training. It just got so boring and I quite running after reaching 2 miles.  I love races the energy of the race and the people running alongside you is such a rush.  My only goal here is be able to run the entire 5K. I don’t care how long it takes as long as I can finish it, I am happy.
Categories: , , ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment